Nigeria is no doubt the most populated African Nation on earth,its a country that it’s population keeps on increasing but does not have the infrastructure to match that rapid growth.
Despite the high level of unemployment,some Nigerian states has carved a safe haven for itself and also industrialized itself, hence reducing the high level of poverty in the country.
The united Nations Global multi dimensional poverty index published a report based on the poverty rate of Nigerian states. Listed below is the most current 2017 list of the Top Ten Richest States In Nigeria.
Which state is the Richest State in Nigeria 2017?
Top Ten Richest States In Nigeria 2017
1.Lagos State 8.5%
Lagos state has the lowest poverty index of 8.5% out of 100% making it the richest state in Nigeria 2017.
Quick Facts About Lagos State
- Lagos is one of the busiest cities in the world.
- It is located in the southwestern geopolitical zone of Nigeria.
- Its capital is Ikeja
- Lagos is situated in the smallest area in terms of land mass but it is an economic powerhouse.
- Lagos is one of the most important economic state in Nigeria.
- Lagos is also called ‘The center of excellence’.
- Assuming Lagos was a country,it would be the 5th largest economy in Africa.
- It has a population of over 10 million.
- Lagos was formerly known as ‘Eko’ (war camp) or “Oko” (cassava farm) which is a yoruba word.
- It later adopted the name Lagos which is a Portuguese word.
- Website: lagosstate.gov.ng
2.Anambra State 11.2%
The Second state on our list is Anambra state,it has the lowest poverty rate in Nigeria.
Located in the south east of Nigeria, this oil rich state with a population of over four million is also a formidable trade and economic centre of Nigeria.
Quick Facts About Anambra State
- Also known as Light of the Nation
- Its Capital is called ‘Awka’
- Anambra derived its name from the Anambra River which is called ‘Omambala’.
- Occupied predominantly by the Igbo,while the Igala accounts for only 2%.
- The people of Anambra are predominantly Christians.
- Anambra is rich in natural resources and has a very fertile arable land.
- Economic powerhouse of Nigeria,its markets in Onitsha, Awka Etc generates billiions of Naira.
- It is also an oil rich state.
3. Osun State 10.9%
The third state on our list is Osun State,a south western state in Nigeria. Its capital is called Osogbo.
Quick Facts About Osun State
- Also called the Land of Virtue.
- Derived its name from the River Osun.
- Created in 1991.
- Has a population of over 3 million.
- Its indigenes are referred to as ‘Osunians’.
People of Osun State practice Islam, Christianity and traditional worship.
4. Ekiti State 12.9%
With a poverty rate of just 12.9% out of 100%, Ekiti State is the 4th richest state in Nigeria.
This western state inhabited predominantly by the yoruba’s was declared a state in 1966.
Quick Facts About Ekiti State
- Ekiti State was carved out of the old ondo State.
- Reputed to have produced the highest number of professors in Nigeria.
- Also known as the land of honor
- Its Capital is called Ado Ekiti
- Its indigenes are called Ekitian
5.Edo State 19.2%
With a low poverty rate of 19.2% out of 100%,the 5th state on our list is Edo State Nigeria.
This state is made up of four major ethnic groups; namely:
- The Binis
- Owan and Afemai.
Quick Facts About Edo State
- Benin City is the capital of Edo state.
- Was one of the Major destinations of exploring europeans many centuries ago.
- One of Nigeria’s tourist states.
- Also called the Heart Beat of Nigeria.
- Created in 1991.
- Has a population of over 3million people.
- Indigenes called Edolites.
6. Imo State 19.8%
One of the 36 states of Nigeria and located in the South East of Nigeria. With Owerri is its capital city and also other major towns like Orlu and Okigwe.
Predominantly inhabited by the Igbos and Located in the south eastern region of Nigeria,Imo state is the 6th Richest State in Nigeria with a poverty rate of 19.8%.
Quick Facts About Imo State
- Also known as the Eastern Heartland.
- Created in 1976.
- Has a population of over 4million people.
- The state depends on agriculture and commerce.
- Imo state has natural resources and is also an Oil rich state.
- There are over 163 oil wells at over 12 different locations in the state.
- The state also produces consumable crops in large quantity.
7.Abia state 21.0%
I actually though that Abia state would be placed higher on this list because of its multi million commercial city called Aba.
Abia state is also a state located in the south eastern part of Nigeria predominantly inhabited by the Igbo’s.
The capital city is Umuahia and the major commercial hub is Aba.
It is the 7th richest state in Nigeria with a general poverty rate of 21.0% out of 100%.
Quick Facts About Abia State
- It was created in 1991 from a part of Imo State.
- It is also known as God’s Own State.
- Abia state is home to over 3million Nigerians.
- It is also rich in oil Crude oil and gas production is a major booster of the states economy.
8. Rivers State 21.1%
Coming in with a 21.1% out of 100%, is a nigerian state located in the south south region of Nigeria known as Rivers State.
Its the richest oil region in Nigeria and is economically Significant as the centre of Nigeria’s oil.
Quick Facts About Rivers State
- 6th most populated city in Nigeria.
- Population of over 6 million people.
- Its capital is called Port Harcourt.
- Created in 1967.
- Rivers state was named after the many rivers that border its territory.
- Rivers State has produced wealth for Nigeria and is the most economically important state in Nigeria,with a GDP of $21.07 billion and a per capita income of $3,965.
9. FCT- Abuja 23.5%
The Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria and also the capital of Nigeria and the 9th Richest State in Nigeria with its citizens poverty rate at 23.5% out of 100%.
Facts About FCT – Abuja
- Also known as the Centre of Unity.
- It is not ruled by a governor,rather it is administered by the Federal Capital Territory Administration.
- Headed by a minister appointed by the President of Nigeria.
- Abuja has a population of over 3million people.
10.Kwara State 23.7%
Kwara state is a state located in western Nigeria within the North Central geopolitical zone also referred to as the Middle Belt.
Its capital is Ilorin and it is home to the Yoruba’s which are the dominant ethnic group in this region and also some other ethnic groups eg Nupe, Bariba, and Fulani minorities.
Quick Facts About Kwara State
- It is also called the State of Harmony.
- It was created in 1967.
- Agriculture is the main source of the kwara economy and also some natural minerals are also abundant in the state.
- It is also home to many manufacturing and production industries in Nigeria like Dangote Flour Mill Etc.
This is the top ten richest states in Nigeria with the lowest poverty ratio,other states following closeby includes :
- 11. Akwa-Ibom > 23.8%
- 12. Delta State > 25.1%
- 13. Ogun State > 26.1%
- 14. Kogi State > 26.4%
- 15. Ondo State > 27.9%
- 16. Enugu State > 28.8%
- 17. Bayelsa State > 29.0%
- 18. Oyo State > 29.4%
- 19. Cross River > 33.1%
For Music/Video Promotion And Advert Placement Contact Us Below
Get A Professional Artwork Graphic Design Now (Here)
DOWNLOAD: Mr Lile - Mummy Anyi