Is time for you to stop receiving all irrelevant messages from your Mobile Network Operators”MNO” as Nigeria Communication Commission [NCC] had mandated all Mobile Network Operators “Airtel, MTN, GLO and Etisalat” to create a service or portal that will allow subscribers from receiving all sort of unsolicited texts messages.
The service mandated is know as DO NOT DISTURB. The DND had fully begins operation form July 1, 2016 and NCC had placed a N5 million fine on any MNO that fails to comply with the directive as at when due and further N500,000 per day for as long as the contravention persists.
To activate the full DO NOT DISTURB service, Just “STOP” to2442 as SMS and after few seconds, confirmation message will be send to you that you have successfully activated the DO NOT DISTURB service on your line.
The Director of Public Affairs, NCC, Tony Ojobo, in a statement yesterday, said the action was taken in order to protect subscribers from the nuisance of unsolicited texts, and therefore a direct regulatory response to the yearnings of the subscribers.
By this action, he explained, the commission has invoked a regulatory provision, which had hitherto been overlooked by the operators. Taking cognizance of the broad range of services which include:
banking/insurance/ financial products, real estate, education, health, consumer goods and automobiles, communication/ broadcasting/ entertainment/ IT, tourism and leisure, sports, religion (Christianity, Islam, others), the commission directed the operators to give the necessary instructions and clarifications that will enable subscribers subscribe to a particular service/services /none at all.
Below are the various options the commission listed:
• “SMS 1” for receiving SMS relating to Banking/Insurance/ Financial products to 2442
• “SMS 2” for receiving SMS relating to real Estate to 2442
• “SMS 3” for receiving SMS relating to Education to 2442
• “SMS 4” for receiving SMS relating to Health to 2442
• “SMS 5” for receiving SMS relating to Consumer goods and Automobiles to 2442”
• “SMS 6” for receiving SMS relating to Communication/ Broadcasting Entertainment/IT to 2442
• “SMS 7” for receiving SMS relating to Tourism and Leisure to 2442
• “SMS 8” for receiving SMS relating to Sports to 2442
• “SMS 9” for receiving SMS relating to Religion to 2442
Further more, opting out from receiving irritating messages from your mobile network operators wouldn’t affect you from receiving your personal messages or person-to-person messages, which are private communication by individuals,
Lastly, Opt-in or opt-out of DND shall be free of charge as stated by NCC.