Motion of no confidence against Zuma postponed


Cape Town – The motion of no confidence against President Jacob Zuma has been postponed, according to parliamentary spokesperson Moloto Mothapo.

The vote was scheduled for April 18.

The DA, Economic Freedom Fighters and the United Democratic Movement called for the motion to be postponed.

The Programme Committee will now be requested to reflect on the implications of the postponement of the motion of no confidence on the programme of the House, especially in light of Rule 90 (rule of anticipation), Parliament said in a statement.

"In terms of Rule 90, postponed motions remain on the programming system of the Assembly, thereby blocking any MP from tabling a similar motion until the one tabled is debated and voted on," the statement reads.

UDM leader Bantu Holomisa welcomed the decision.

The UDM, DA and EFF on Tuesday asked that the motion be postponed until the Constitutional Court ruled on the use of a secret ballot during the motion of no confidence.

Holomisa told News24 that opposition parties threatened Mbete with legal action if the motion was not postponed.

"It is clear that she finally caved in after we were saying earlier on Tuesday that the motion should be postponed," he said.

Holomisa said the motion will now most probably take place in the week of April 24.

DA Chief Whip John Steenhuisen said it would’ve been disrespectful of parliament to continue with the vote when the Constitutional Court ruling was expected.

"The postponement will give ANC members of Parliament time to reflect on their commitment to South Africa and the people," Steenhuisen said in a statement.

"For as long as Jacob Zuma remains at the Union Buildings, the people, especially the poor and jobless, will continue to suffer."

The EFF could not be reached for comment.




DOWNLOAD MP3: Mr Lile x Prosblinkz - If Davido Cover

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*